Fine Choice Foods is fully committed to producing delicious, high quality, and safe foods for our customers. We believe that food safety is the responsibility of each member of our team. We diligently follow our HACCP and GMP programs to ensure that all standards are being met. We are also committed to the ongoing training of our team in food safety.
Fine Choice Foods Ltd. is committed to sustainable growth and understands we are responsible for the impacts from the decisions we make. We use these guiding factors when making choices about our ingredients, partners, equipment, building systems and community involvement.
- Sourcing local produce when it is available
- Installing energy-efficient equipment and building systems
- Selecting like-minded partners
- Supporting local communities and charities – Our most recent potluck raised $5000 for the Canadian Red Cross.
Working together with industry partners and BC Hydro, we recently installed various technologies that reduced our electrical consumption by 384,000 kWh/year, which is the equivalent of 35 average households for an entire year! We accomplished this by installing systems such as:
- Energy-efficient lighting
- Heat recovery ventilators
- Higher rated insulation
- Computer-controlled refrigeration
But we’re not done yet, as we are always looking at ways to reduce our energy consumption.
We participate in a recycling program in cooperation with a local Return-It depot. All recyclable beverage contains are collected on a bi-weekly basis and recycled. As a proud Multi-Material BC steward, we are taking steps to assume full responsibility for the end-of-life management of our packaging and printed paper.
100% of our used cooking oil is collected and sent for recycling. Our partner filters, sterilizes and processes the oil to make feed fat (used as an energy ingredient in animal feed) and commercially-approved biodiesel (a cleaner-burning alternative fuel).
Our long-term goal is to have zero waste that goes to the landfill. It is a lofty goal, but we like challenges and are working with partners and pushing ourselves to make greater use of our raw materials and to reduce the amount of waste we generate. We will strive to achieve this by:
- Making greater use of our raw materials
- Using more efficient packaging
- Using recycled and renewable materials
- Eliminating landfill waste